Monday 27 December 2010

Cock v hen hackle

                                                                 
Muddler head
 Cock hackle
Hen hackle
I have been admiring the quality of some of the other blogs and aspire to improve the quality of this one. All criticism will be appreciated because then at least there will be dialogue.
 Meanwhile a nagging question about what hackle to use for perhaps my most successful fly has come to the surface. The fly in question is the Bibio. One dressing is attributed to Charles Roberts in E. J. Malone's Irish Trout and Salmon Flies but Tom Stewart accredits the fly to William Hewetson. Beyond doubt is the Bibio's Irish origins and its efficiency is attested by the several variations listed in Stan Headley's Flies of Scotland. I developed my own muddler headed version until I discovered other anglers had arrived there before me. Is there anything new in fly tying? There is something about a deerhair head that gives a fly an extra attraction. But the question of what kind of palmered hackle, cock or hen has vexed me for some time.

Bibio
Hook: Kamasan B170, B175 or B160
Body: Seal fur in three parts, rear third black, middle red, front black.
Rib: Silver wire or tinsel.
Palmered hackle: Black cock or hen.
Shoulder hackle: Black hen.

I use a variety of tyings for different occasions but my favourite is begining to evolve. Both hackles are of hen for movement instead of the shine of cock, and I prefer the broader tinsel rib as opposed to the strength of wire. An added dimension that should not be ignored is the muddler head.

No comments:

Post a Comment